For people who love cats, a cat Christmas tree topper is the perfect finish for the family tree. A few manufacturers have realized this, and there are several types and styles of toppers in all price ranges. You can even make a feline-inspired topper for a DIY touch.
Super Star DIY Cat Tree Topper
The ultimate cat Christmas tree topper might just be the one you create yourself. This project is fun and easy, allowing you to create your very own custom kitty photo star for the top of your tree. It takes about an hour to make, plus drying time.
Things You'll Need
Gather the following tools and supplies:
What to Do
- Start by cutting the photo of your cat to fit on the star. You can use a glass or jar lid to get a round shape or try a freeform design.
- Decide if you'd like to add some silver scrapbook paper to the star. If you want to, trace around the star and cut out the paper. Spread Mod Podge on the back and press it onto the star.
- Apply Mod Podge to the back of the cat photo and smooth it onto the center of the star. Try to work out any air bubbles.
- Spread another coat of Mod Podge over the top of the photo and the star. Set it aside to dry for about 20 minutes.
- Apply another coat. This will help protect your tree topper for years to come.
- Let the topper dry completely before your use it.
Tips and Variations
- Taking a great photo of your cat may take a few tries. Just keep shooting. Bonus points if you can get your feline friend to don a Santa hat.
- If you don't want a photo of your own cat on your tree, consider using a crazy cat photo instead. You won't even believe some of the hilarious things cats can get up to.
- You can embellish your topper with glitter if you want some extra sparkle. Simply sprinkle glitter over the last coat of Mod Podge.
- Add ribbons, bells, and other holiday decorations for a more elaborate and festive topper.
Options for Buying Cat Christmas Tree Toppers
Whether you want something funky and vintage or modern and stylish, there are cat Christmas tree toppers out there. You just have to know where to look.
- eBay - ebay is one of the best resources for one-of-a-kind, vintage tree toppers. There are hundreds of designs and many cats. These vintage cat Christmas tree toppers are very collectible because they are often handmade and unique.
- Etsy - You'll find some great vintage cat options on Etsy, as well as handmade toppers that have a vintage look. Either way, keep an eye on the offerings as they change all the time.
- Antique shops - Check local antique shops, especially around the holidays. Antique malls, in particular, often have a section of Christmas collectibles. You may get lucky with the perfect festive feline.
- Furry Partners - This pet-themed gift site offers an adorable tabby angel topper that will look gorgeous on your tree. It even comes complete with wings and a halo.
- Craft shows - You can find these at local craft shows too, especially during the holiday season. Some artists will even make one especially for you with your favorite cat breed.
Finding a cat Christmas tree topper that you love might take patience. Keep looking for exactly what you want, and eventually, you are sure to find it. Once you do, you are on your way to the perfect cat-themed Christmas tree.