There are quite a few names which are especially suitable for black cats. Some are traditional while others may strike you as silly, but chances are these names have already been used by someone, somewhere. If nothing else, you should be able to draw inspiration from these lists to create a unique name for your pet.
Traditional Names for Black Felines
You may have heard these names before, but at least a few will be new to you. Many of them have something to do with being "dark" in some way.
|Abracadabra||Black Orchid||Eight Ball||Moon Shadow||Salem|
|Ashes||Carbon||Grimalkin||Mourning Glory||Shady Character|
|Batman||Coal Dust||Immortal||Night Rider||Soot|
|Blackamoor||Crypt Keeper||Ink Spot||Obsidian||Spooky|
|Black Bart||Darth Vader||Inkwell||Omen||Spot|
|Black Olive||Eclipse||Midnight Runner||Sabrina||Wizard|
Ironic Black Cat Names
For those of you who like to buck the trends and overlook the obvious, here are some names which would be quite ironic for a black cat since they all mean or represent something white, bright, or the opposite of black. Maybe one of these will appeal to your wry sense of humor.
Names Drawn From Pop Culture
Whether the inspiration comes from a TV show, a singer, an actor, or a sports personality, pop culture offers a treasure trove of name ideas. Give your feline one of these monikers as an ode to pop culture.
|Beyoncé||Fresh Prince||Minaj||Scandal||Taye Diggs|
|Braxton||India Arie||M. J.||Serena||Tyson|
|Ellington||Little Boss||Pryor||Soul Train||Yeezy|
Famous Black Felines
Some are real; others are characters from television, films and cartoons. No matter where they came from, they have some great names you can borrow.
- Hocus Pocus is actually a young man who was turned into a cat by three witches.
- Blackie - Although the name's not very original, the story is quite interesting. Blackie's owner was a wealthy antique dealer who left approximate $12.5 million to his beloved cat to be used for his care.
- Boo Boo Kitty - Boo Boo Kitty may have just been a stuffed animal, but he brought comfort to his owner Shirley in the TV sitcom Laverne & Shirley.
- Cole - If you frequent Instagram, you probably already know of Cole and his cat Marmalade. These two felines help promote pet adoptions.
- Felix the Cat - This cartoon kitty always seems to find himself in all sorts of crazy situations.
- Luna - This anime feline with a crescent moon on her forehead is the guardian cat from the Sailor Moon series.
- Salem - This is the troublemaking cat from the TV show Sabrina the Teenage Witch. Salem was a warlock who was turned into a cat as punishment for his naughty ways.
- Snowball II - From the long-running show, The Simpsons, this cat inherited its ill-fitting name from the original family pet who was white. There have been additional Snowballs on the show over the years with Snowball V billed as "the new and improved Snowball II"- at least until its luck runs out.
- Pluto - Fans of Edgar Allan Poe will recognize this unfortunate feline who gets revenge from the afterlife in the author's story The Black Cat.
Choosing the Perfect Name
While you can name your beautiful black cat anything you want to, sometimes it's fun to choose a name according to the characteristics of the individual animal. In this case, your kitty's dark fur usually serves as the first inspiration. Once you get beyond your cat's color, you can begin thinking about its personality and use that to guide your choices. Is your cat sweet, a bit naughty, or perhaps intellectual? Tailor the name you choose to your cat's true self, and you can't go wrong.