When welcoming home your new Siamese kitten, names that reflect the wonderful qualities of the breed and the character of the new addition to the family are an important part of the planning process.
About Siamese Cats and Kittens
Siamese cats hail from Thailand. Thailand used to be known as Siam, and the cats we know as Siamese cats had a long history in Siam. It was not until the end of the 19th Century, however, that a British lady brought home one of these cats as a pet. In the early days in Britain, these cats were known as the Royal Cat of Siam. The Siamese cat has continued to grow in popularity and the breed can be found around the world, bringing joy and companionship to a wide range of people.
Picking Names for a Siamese Kitten
Siamese cats and kittens have very special qualities and they deserve the best of names. This breed makes a lovely pet and is very well natured. While normal 'run of the mill' cats names might be suitable for other cats, a Siamese cat deserves something a little special, a name that marks his long heritage as an important oriental breed.
Inspiration for Siamese Kitten Names
Siamese cats often have names that reflect their oriental background. This does not mean, of course, that you cannot call your Siamese kitten names that are important or meaningful to you. The most important thing about picking a name for a cat, whether traditional or unusual, is that it is part of the bond between you and your new companion.
Sometimes it can be difficult to think of a name for your kitten, and it is useful to seek inspiration. There are some websites that offer examples and ideas for names that are specifically for the Siamese cat breed. Some examples of these websites are:
- Best Cat Art: A range of names suitable for Siamese kittens including some unusual oriental style names
- Find Cat Names: Examples of suitable names broken down by theme
- Cat Name City: Two hundred of the most popular Siamese cats names as voted by visitors to the site
Other websites that might provide inspiration include websites about Thailand. Although the country name has changed from Siam to Thailand, many other names remain the same and therefore names of small villages, different types of food or famous people can all offer excellent ideas for Siamese kitten names. Some websites that offer more information about Thailand with its long, rich heritage and history include:
And, of course, don't forget the King and I. The 1956 film about the King of Siam might not be full of authentic detail, however, there are plenty of names and images that can provide inspiration.
Additional Tips for Choosing a Name
Some other considerations to take into account when naming your Siamese kitten include:
- Long-lived: When giving a name to your new companion, it is important to remember that the name that you give him now will hopefully last for many years to come. Siamese cats are a notoriously long-lived breed with cats recorded to have lived into their twenties. Therefore, you could spend a significant part of your life with a cat and name you must be comfortable with.
- Easy to Recognize: While Siamese cats are said to be an intelligent breed, easy to recognize names will certainly be helpful to your cat. Cats respond well to names that have strong sounds. This is particularly useful when there is more than one cat in the household. Two different sounding names will help the cats understand which one of them is being called.
- Easily Shortened: Very long names often end up getting shortened. It is important to try a few shortened variations before giving a long name to your new pet. This is to ensure that the shortened version sounds suitable when said out loud.
Your Siamese kitten will bring you many years of joy and companionship. Picking a great name to fit his personality and appearance will help your new kitten settle into his home and new life with you.Don't forget to visit LTK's Siamese cat slideshow where you can see many different types of Siamese.