With so many varieties of dry cat food on the market, selecting the best one for your cat can be overwhelming. Do some research on the major dry cat food brands first and you will be ahead of the game.
Iams Dry Cat Food
Despite Iams being widely sold brand in pet food and grocery stores, it gets poor reviews. Cat Food Reviews gives it 1 star out of 5 because of the poor quality of the ingredients and fillers like corn and wheat. While the brand uses quality meats for their proteins, the amount is small. KittyCatter.com notes that the first ingredient listed is chicken, which is not as good as chicken meal because it would have more chicken. Additional considerations include:
- Corn meal, brewers rice and dried beet pulp are all in the top five ingredients and are carbohydrates which don't have much nutritional benefit and do more to bulk up the cat's diet than provide any real benefit.
- While other brands may be harder to find and cost more, they provide better nutritional benefit which may make them more cost effective than Iams.
- A 5-pound bag is about $7.
Orijen Acana Pacifica
This dry food takes the number one spot on The Cat Digest's list of the top ten dry cat foods. It's made with 50% fresh fish and 50% dried fish, which is over double what you'll find in other high end dry cat foods. All the fish and ingredients are of sufficient quality for humans to eat as well.It gets 4 out of 5 stars from reviewers on Amazon.com. Additional features include:
- It's a high protein food with 35% protein, 20% fat, and 4% fiber.
- The con to Acana Pacific is its availability as it will be harder to find in major pet food stores.
- It also is pricey at almost $60 for a 12- pound bag at Amazon.
Science Diet is a very popular brand and also has a line of prescription diets that are recommended by veterinarians. Their commercial dry cat food gets less positive reviews. Like Iams, Science Diet contains a lot of carbohydrates and fillers which can cause digestive issues for cats. It's also been reported by some owners to cause skin problems and allergies in their cats. Also keep in mind:
- The main protein source is from animal by-products and it's difficult to judge the quality of the meat.
- While the nutritional value of Science Diet isn't high compared to other brands, one benefit is their variety or cats with specific issues, such as formulas for hairball control, sensitive skin and stomachs, and dental problems. It's also easy to find.
- A 3-1/2 pound bag is about $13.
Taste of the Wild Canyon River
This food was listed on Top 10 Reviews' top cat foods and the only dry food on the list. They cite the brand's high quality ingredients with meat, fruit, vegetables, and antioxidants. The food also receives 4 out of 5 stars on Cat Food Reviews.
- The food is grain-free and while it does list meat ingredients, they are not in the first five listed. This means they are available in lesser quantities in the food.
- The downside is that it is harder to find than more commercially available foods.
- A 15-pound bag will cost you a little over $30.
Tiki Cat makes Reviews.com's list of top dry cat foods, based on comparisons of ingredient lists and veterinary recommendations. There are three different flavors of their dry cat food: Born Carnivore Chicken Luau Grain-Free, Born Carnivore Chicken & Fish Luau Grain-Free, and Born Carnivore Fish Luau Grain-Free. The chicken flavor gets 5 out of 5 stars from reviewers on Petco.com and they cite the resealable packaging as one great feature. Other considerations include:
- Users note cats with sensitive stomachs thrive on the food although some don't seem interested in it.
- It's also affordable compared to other premium foods.
- A 5-pound bag runs about $25 to $30 at Petco.
Wellness Core Grain-Free Original Formula
Consumer Search picks Wellness dry food as a top choice based on cat owners and veterinary recommendations. Its main ingredients are based on high quality proteins such as turkey, chicken, herring and whitefish. Some users may also be wary of Wellness due to recalls in the past although this variety has had no known issues. On food retailer PetFlow this food gets 4.6 out of 5 stars from reviewers although some state their cats did not care for the taste. It's helpful to also know:
- There are no by-products and it includes probiotics to aid in digestion which is good for cats with sensitive stomachs.
- The downside is the high carb content.
- A 5-pound bag is about $20 to $25 at PetFlow.
Choosing a Dry Brand
Read the labels carefully of dry cat foods you are considering and always look at the top 5 ingredients. Remember that cats are carnivores and the AAFCO recommends at least 26% protein in dry cat food for optimal cat health.